Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Stardust: Neil Gaiman



This was a book that I read after having watched the movie.  Both my wife and I really enjoyed the movie.  I found it very creative and very engaging.  I wanted to watch it again immediately afterward.  Stardust was intended, by the author, to be a fairy tale for adults.  He writes of young Tristran Thorn's love for his beautiful Victoria.  The only problem, is that Victoria does not love him back.  This, however, does not dissuade Tristran and he secures a promise from Victoria that she will marry him if he returns with a falling star.  This is where Tristran's adventure begins.  He travels into a land full of witches, magic, and a brotherly feud for the throne of Stormhold.  Along the way, he finds that his 'star' is not what he expected and, through the influence of many others, his views and priorities in life begin to change.  Stardust is a fun magical book that would have been great had it not been for the fairly explicit sex scene near the beginning of the book.  The movie did a great job skirting this part of the story.  This scene renders this book pretty inappropriate for anyone like me who finds this type of content offensive.

Would I Read It Again?: I think I'll Stick to the Movie

Grade: B- (A Without the Sex Scene)
Content: Explicit Sexual Content
Jeff's Recommended Age: 18+
Sequels:
     None

No comments:

Post a Comment